Wednesday 4 January 2012

The Baby Blues

About 5 days after Lib was born, I got horrendous 'baby blues'. I think I had been lulled into a false sense of security because when I came out of hospital I was in pretty good shape! I had convinced myself that I was going to be generally crippled because of the physical exhaustion of giving birth, so I definitely got ahead of myself and maybe tried to do too much.


They told me in our ante-natal class that the baby blues is caused by a drop in the hormones amplified during pregnancy, which is probably the case, but for me the 4th and 5th day was when the exhaustion really started to hit home. The combination isn't pretty!

Not only were the tears flowing pretty much constantly, but I had such strong feelings of frustration and almost sadness. I hadn't thought too much about the future and how my MS would be since earlier on in the pregnancy, but having the blues made me worry about it hugely. How was I ever going to feel normal again? I'm this tired now, but how am I ever going to catch up on my sleep? How is my condition going to affect Lib?

fatigue, MS, tiredness, depression


The thing is though, in those few days I felt utterly lost and panicked, but as the classes had said, the feelings passed as quickly as they came, and I started to concentrate on the positives again. It was a horrible time though, and luckily nothing has come close to it since.


No comments:

Post a Comment