Wednesday 24 October 2012

Tai Chi Moves

As I was feeling less fatigued and sore yesterday I thought it was important to be a bit pro-active and try and get moving, rather than just letting things seize up even more, so I've been doing some gentle arm exercises to try and help with the spasticity in my wrists and hands. I have to say, so far, it's really helped.

I did a bit of Taoist Tai Chi when I first came to Bristol, and after encouragement and instruction from my mum-in-law Sheila, I went through a few of the basic arm moves.

The simple forearm rotation has been really soothing for my left hand in particular. Why not try it?
 - Hold your hands up in front of your face, with your elbows at right angles and with palms facing inwards.
Open out your thumbs and relax your fingers
Keeping your arms rigid gently rotate your palms to face you and then away from you .
Repeat as many times as you like, and as quickly as it's comfortable.

Annoyingly I couldn't find a video to illustrate it, but I did find this, which I think would be just as useful to loosen things up.



No comments:

Post a Comment