Monday 8 December 2014

10 weeks..(the s**t hits the fan)

I did write a really long post about week 10, and then lost it all, which was just about the icing on the cake. It's probably a good thing though because it means I'll keep this fairly brief instead of waffling on!

So my low mood got increasingly worse, and we realised that the problems were due to suffering from a severe bout of depression. Being pregnant has masked things somewhat, so rather than seeing the signs for what they were, I put it down to 'normal' pregnancy symptoms. After all, its common knowledge that you get mood swings and a low mood throughout pregnancy.

However, when I finally went to the doctor, she confirmed that it was something much more than that, and what I was going through wasn't 'normal'. I'm not going to go into too much detail, but after a couple of discussions with her, and her conferring with other doctors, it was decided that the best course of action was to start me back on the Citalopram.

It was a big decision, because they believe that there is a very low risk that it can cause heart defects in babies. However, like my doctor said, in 11 years she's never known it occurring, and she made a good point in saying that the heart defects could have occurred in the baby anyway. I certainly don't like taking medication when pregnant, but as I'm on the lowest dose, I did agree that the risks were worth taking as I was struggling to look after myself (and therefore the baby) because the depression had made me so despondent and weak.

It was really tough time, but at 15 weeks, I can say that things are much better than they were. I've had a lot less anxiety attacks, and I'm generally feeling a lot brighter. Fingers crossed it continues. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment