Tuesday 2 December 2014

All Tits and Teeth.

My GOD I can't stand the new Disney 'princess' merchandise.
It makes me want to do a little vomit every time I see it.

With Christmas coming up, I'm obviously noticing it more, but seriously.. WTF?!

We have a bit of an issue now in our household. My daughter really likes the Disney Cinderella film. Fair enough. I don't really have anything against the films. But that means she ultimately gravitates towards any Cinderella bits and bobs in the shops. But is it Cinderella? No. It's not. It's some tarty, 'tits and teeth', tiny waist, tousled hair imposter who frankly looks like she's never done a day of work in her life (forced or otherwise!). This sexing up of children's toys I know is a long standing issue, but when the merchandise looks nothing like the character in the film, it's just taking the piss.

Obviously Lib just sees the blue dress and blonde hair and associates it with the film and I made the same mistake today, by picking up a magic flannel to go in her stocking. But when I got it home and looked at it, I can't bring myself to give it to her.

I feel mean because she loves Cinderella (she wanted a jigsaw with her on the other day and got incredibly upset when I told her she couldn't have that one but could choose another), and I guess many would say 'what harm can it do?' but I know how exposed girls (and boys of course, but I'm going to guess there are less boys interested in Disney princesses for example) are to toys that have a very mature, and sexualised look about them. The older Lib gets the more I'm concerned about her taking this look on board, and thinking this idealised view is the norm.

Like I said, don't think I'm unaware that this debate has been going on for YEARS, but as a mother of a young girl, it's certainly bringing it home.

And that's my point. I feel like a meany, and I can't shelter her from these images everywhere, but I can in the home, which is something I guess.

From this classy chick...


to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment