Friday 6 February 2015

24 weeks on the Mother Ship

Wowzer....5 and a half months gone.

I think I might have mentioned before how we had sort of tried to work things so I was pregnant over the winter, rather than summer, to make things easier for me? So yeah, that back fired.

Sure, when I'm feeling ok my energy and mobility is better than it perhaps would have been in the summer, but my goodness. I've just picked up one thing after another. It's been months of ill.

It started with my depression being bad (which isn't contagious obviously, but the dark days couldn't have helped!) but me being run down meant I caught a cold, then the stomach flu (which ended up with me being stuck in bed for a week because I got dehydrated and it set off a lot of MS symptoms). Last week I was in a whole world of pain with sciatica in my back and down one leg (cause unknown, but now I'm now scared it's going to be re-occurring throughout pregnancy. Luckily it seems to have righted itself for now), and now we're back to a snotty cold so I'm again writing this in bed, feeling sorry for myself!

Normally I tend to miss winter bugs, but I suppose Lib is at nursery now which has meant we've had a whole cycle of snot and bleeurggh to contend with. For once in my life I'm actually looking forward to it warming up, and wouldn't say no to a nice sunny holiday somewhere!!

Despite my body throwing a hissy fit, Junior (Si's new adopted name....though it reminds me of Arnold Schwarzenegger) is wriggling and squirming like the best of 'em, so it all looks good in there. Never before have I felt like so much of a 'vessel' though. It's stormy seas outside...but hey, he's fine and comfy tucked up in his little warm cabin. :)

In other, more random news, I was interviewed yesterday for Woman magazine. It's a piece about being young when diagnosed with MS, and how it shaped my life. At least I think it is. I was chatting to her for half and hour for it to be condensed into 500 words (we covered work, family life, medical, emotional stuff...so I have no idea what she's going to focus on). I'm glad I can get my story out there though, and offer a bit of hope to people who are diagnosed so young. I wish I had had it. When I was diagnosed, the only two people I knew with MS were both permanently in a wheelchair, so to me, my outlook wasn't brilliant. They weren't too good at providing information in those days. Sure I got all of the medical bumf about what MS was etc (despite them not really knowing!), but nothing that was targeted to young people. I think that's improved now - thank goodness.

It certainly would have been a help to me to know that despite having regular relapses, with the right things in place and learning to adapt to my condition, I can live a happy and fairly 'normal' life.  Like I said to the journalist when she asked how my diagnosis effected me emotionally after these 14 years ("Wasn't I scared?"), all I could think was that 14 years ago I thought I'd be in a wheelchair permanently by now, so in my mind, I'm lucky and just have to make the most of things. I mean no one has control over what is going to happen in the future, so just make the most of what you have now. Sure, the chances are my MS will worsen, but then anyone could be struck down with something horrible at any point (cheery) so what's the point in stressing about it now?

Wow, those anti-depressants are really working well! ;)

I will post the article when it comes out...unless it's cringe-worthy because they've made me sound like a stupid sentimental 'ol twonk!



The scientific baby measuring tool of today -  
Apparently he's the size of a corn cob. 

No comments:

Post a Comment