Saturday 31 October 2015

Happy Halloween

It's been too long! How the devil are you?!

I've actually been meaning to post for flipping ages, but to be honest, so much cr*p has gone on that I just didn't know where to start. I couldn't really bring myself to write a series of 'woe is me' posts because that would have depressed me even more, whereas now things are better so I feel more in the mood for blogging.

To cut a long story short, since the beginning of September I have had the joy of:
Flu (*shudder*), which led to...
Pneumonia (unexpected. Sounded like Darth Vader), which led to....
A 'pseudo' MS relapse (just annoying, but not unexpected - basically a 'pseudo' relapse is when you get an infection and have all the symptoms of a relapse without a lesion causing any lasting damage.) which led to....
2 colds (but of course) and generally feeling ridiculously run-down. I mean, I have a rubbish immune system but come ON! It was getting to the point where all I had to do was go somewhere where there were strangers and that was it, I'd catch something. Ironically, one cold came from the doctor's surgery to go and have my chest examined again. I've started carrying hand sanitiser, though rarely remember to use it. Which kind of defeats the object. But hey...I carry hand sanitiser. I'm responsible.

Urrgghhh.

But c'est la vie. I'm on the uppity up. This week Si and Sheila took the kids to Essex for a wee holiday so I got a few days of proper respite (even though the majority of the time I felt anxious and weird because the kids weren't here). I haven't had time to myself like that since before the kids came along, so a good 4 years (in fact longer because you can't really count being pregnant as respite!), and it worked wonders. I feel properly in remission for the first time in years. I'm back to having minor symptoms that are gone the next day if I put my feet up, instead of symptoms being there continuously and building up. It had reached the point where I had started worrying that I had moved onto secondary progressive MS (after all, it is 15 years since my diagnosis, next year - the average time it takes for it to worsen) because the symptoms were so constant and my walking had become atrocious, but the improvements I can see just from having a block of proper rest has put my mind at rest. Who knows how long it'll last for, but all I know is that it's nice being able to go for a walk at the moment, after struggling to even get out of the house for so long. I love Autumn :)

So yeah, things are as peachy as they are ever likely to be. Moving onwards, now's the time to start on Tecfidera, but I'm going to wait until after Christmas so I can relax and enjoy it. It can create some nasty side-effects, so I don't want to risk that over Crimbo for the sake of waiting another month. After all, I haven't been on any disease modifying drugs for nearly 5 years.

I know there is loads more I should talk about, but I'm sure I'll throw random blog posts out there when I think of them. For now, it's Halloween and Doctor Who is on.........




No comments:

Post a Comment