Thursday 29 November 2012

Three cheers for Dr Swank!

Well, it's been 6 weeks since my relapse kicked off, and nearly a month since I started back on the Swank diet and I can safely say that....*drum roll please*....the improvement has been great!

I was so worried in those first 2 weeks of my relapse that despite a huge dose of steroids, I wasn't really getting anywhere, but since starting on the Swank diet, every week I've gone from strength to strength. Firstly, the stiffness in my hands subsided, then the feeling started to come back all over, particularly in my torso. This week I've noticed that my fatigue levels are much much better, I feel alert and keen, the tingling in my hands and feet has gone down, and I generally feel happier and healthier. Despite having good days and bad days, I realised today that the balance has shifted and I'm having more good days than bad, and it's such a relief that I can take Lib out somewhere without worrying about getting ill or too tired.

The transition to the diet wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, and I'm actually really enjoying it. Last time, I was a bit of a reluctant participant, always trying to find substitutes for things I missed like cheese. This time I've just adapted to a much simpler, lighter diet, focusing on eating lots of fresh things but allowing myself a little treat occasionally. The less treats I have though, the less I want them. I know cynics will say 'well, you might have improved that much anyway regardless', but for me it's too much of a coincidence. I still have symptoms, sure, but because I feel healthier generally it's a lot easier to deal with.

For dinner, I celebrated my 'nearly a month on the Swank Diet and feeling fine' day by having sea bass for tea that I finally allowed to creep out of the freezer.

I literally popped it in a dish with some olive oil, prawns, sliced mushrooms, onion, garlic, soy sauce, ginger, chilli and a bit of honey and baked it under foil for 20 mins on 180 deg C. Lovely!




















[By the way, if I ever come on this blog and say 'I've had enough of this stupid diet so I'm giving up'...............come round and slap me!]



No comments:

Post a Comment