Wednesday 17 April 2019

Over-doing it in the Easter Break

Well, we're one week into the Easter holidays, and today I. am. knackered.
It's one of those days where you feel like you need to prop your stinging eyes open with matchsticks.

However, I have done a lot, so there's no surprise that I'm feeling it now.

Firstly, as I mentioned before, we headed to Wales for 4 nights.
We stayed in a lovely Airbnb near Narberth in Pembrokeshire, and thank lordy the weather was good. We only had one drizzly day, which was a miracle!
We had lots of eating nice food, beach time and fun at various attractions - the kids loved it!

One day we decided to go to Folly Farm, and I bit the bullet and got the mobility scooter out to help me. The do have wheelchairs to hire there, but I don't know about you, but the thought of someone pushing me around makes me feel much more self-conscious.
It was a lovely day, but I was stiff afterwards. I can't seem to win! On the one hand, I need the scooter because my fatigue is too bad to walk all of the way round, yet because I've been sat on a scooter for the best part of a day, I end up being stiff and in pain which affects my walking anyway. I think I'd rather go with the stiffness though, because there's nothing worse than walking somewhere and realising you can't physically get back to where you started. Unsurprisingly, it makes me panic.

Woman with MS on mobility scooter with girl in stripy top.
Here's me rocking the scooter with Libby. 


My experiences recently though have made me realise that I need to get a new scooter. It's fine because you can take it apart and put it into the car in bits, but the problem is that it's cumbersome, and the battery is soooo heavy. I would struggle to do it alone, and that's on a good day. Which doesn't make it great for independence. I've seen one that is folding and lightweight, but at £2500 it's an expensive bit of kit. Something to save up for though, definitely. Maybe if I had a less cumbersome scooter I would use it more and try and get out there a bit. Now that Ed's at an age where he doesn't run off willy-nilly (most of the time!) if I had a lighter scooter I could take the kids out on my own to one of the attractions near home, like the zoo. 

Anyway, aside from Folly Farm we went to the lovely beaches around Pembrokeshire, the Dinosaur Park (Ed in particular was in his element), and Saundersfoot. We took the dog on holiday too (as dogs were still allowed on the beaches) so he got some nice walks. It was just a really nice family time. 
Of course I ended up drinking and eating far too much, but that's the whole point of holidays right?!

Since we've been back we've been full-on in the house though. Do you remember me saying that as a project for when Ed starts nursery 4 days a week, I was going to decorate Lib's new bedroom? Well....I was impatient (as usual). 😁
Yep, since the holiday I've decorated Lib's room, we've put up her new bed, moved Ed into his new room, I've painted one wall of the new guestroom, we've put the bed up, AND cleared the little loft out. It's like I've been taken over by a new woman. My energy levels allowed me to do it all, which was amazing. Ok, so I'm feeling it now, but at least I feel a sense of accomplishment as I rest. 

Plus, the house seems so much more spacious and relaxing now that everything seems to have it's own place. *breathe a sigh of relief*

All in all, a bloody good holiday, and we've still got 5 days left! Of course, it does mean that I'll be stuck for things to do once Ed bumps up his hours at school, but maybe if things are sorted in the house I might actually rest!! Only time will tell. 


Me at Amroth beach

1 comment:

  1. just found you blog. I live in Pembrokeshire. MS has been mentioned to me for the first time this week as a possibility for my health problems. Scared yup so thought I would go looking for some blogs. Thank you the few I have read have shown me that MS is just a word for some symptoms that I am already trying to cope with and that if I need to use a scooter so be it. I am going to go and binge read all your blogs now looking for more wise words. I like your attitude lady.. best wishes from another mum...

    ReplyDelete