Tuesday 7 September 2021

Back to school and back to a bit of head space

It's a beautiful day today - the sun is shining, there isn't a cloud in the sky, and I'm sat in the shade in the garden, with the guinea pigs, enjoying the peace and quiet. Because....hazaaaa...the kids are back at school. 

It seems an incredibly long time coming, and after two school years of fits and starts and home schooling, it's understandable. I'm so so proud of my two for their resilience for getting through the last two years of Covid affected life, and as far as the school is concerned, things are kind of back to normal. Sure they will still be vigilant, and things like hand washing and sanitising are still going to be prevalent, but there are no more class bubbles and no need for face masks when picking up/dropping off. 

It feels nice to go into a school where things seem normal, but I can't help but think things are normal too soon. We're surely not out of the woods yet, if the current rates are anything to go by, so is it really right, to have school children and parents mixing as normal? It seems a bit dodgy if I'm honest!

Needless to say though, I'm happy they are back, but also miss them! They've done so well, and have headed back to this school term unscathed and ready to get stuck in. They still have their smiles, which is all we wanted after everything. 

We managed to get away a couple of times this summer, which was great. Firstly to visit my family in Lincolnshire, and second to Devon to stay in a yurt. Both holidays were just what we needed and we enjoyed them immensely. And yes, we got guinea pigs! About three weeks ago, and they are settling into the household nicely. We have them housed in the kitchen though, which means I've had to put The Natural Cupcake Company on hold. I can't remember if I mentioned it, but I restarted the little business I did before Lib came along - a vegan cupcake business. I started it up again this time last year, and business was great. However, I just couldn't sustain in. As usual my MS and anxiety got in the way of working, and I just couldn't keep up with it. My anxiety was off the charts and I really felt unwell. So I made the decision to take a step back.

Then following on from that, I changed my diet to incorporate fish, so I was no longer vegan. That coupled with my health meant that I had to rethink things. I almost felt a fraud at the thought of selling vegan wares and not being vegan myself. It didn't sit well with me. Then adding two rodents living in our big kitchen...albeit in a cage....to the mix doesn't lend itself to running a vegan catering business! 

I feel relieved to have made the decision not to continue though, which means I've made the right choice. First and foremost I need to make my health a priority, and I'm finally accepting that I can't work at the moment, and that's ok. I'm hoping to write more to keep occupied and start up swimming again...plus there's the on-going quest to lose weight (which never seems to happen!). The kids going back to school, and me settling in to looking after myself and the home feels like a fresh start this year though, and it's nice. 


Babbacombe Model Village

Enjoying an afternoon at Babbacombe Model Village

Two children in school uniform

Ready for school

Woman with Abyssinian guinea pig.

Me with Rocco - one of our new guinea pigs


No comments:

Post a Comment