Tuesday 6 November 2018

Pseudo-relapse...or not?

No sooner did I think things were looking up, that I start experiencing symptoms again and I suffered a pseudo-relapse that lasted for about a week.

What on earth is a pseudo-relapse?! Well, it's when you have a symptom flare-up which has nothing to do with the course of the disease (ie. no more damage has been done in the brain or spine). They can be caused by all sorts of things - heat, exhaustion, fever, viruses and infection, for example.
I think I probably had a virus because there have been so many bugs that have been floating around our house since the kids started back at school.

Whatever the reason was, my walking was affected (I was dragging my right leg and my knees went stiff), I had dizziness, loss of concentration, fatigue and a lot of stabbing pain in my legs. It wasn't fun.

The MS nurse thought I could actually be having a relapse, but the Tysabri could be holding it at bay. Who knows with these things? If that's true though, then Tysabri is truly a great drug! I do think I was pretty exhausted too though, so that wouldn't have helped. It's been half term, and the kids have been pretty full on. We also had a Halloween party that Lib hosted, but I of course did most of the food. It was fun but tiring, and as usual, I did too much. I didn't want to let her down though, because she'd been looking forward to it for so long. Luckily Sheila and my friends were happy to lend a hand.

Needless to say, things have sorted themselves out now though, and I'm pretty much back to 'normal'.
One thing that helped massively was a little holiday we took to Dorset straight after Halloween. We only stayed for a couple of nights, but a change of scene is always great when you feel poorly, and I loved being near the beach. We explored the Jurassic coast, went fossil hunting on Charmouth beach, and caught up with family. It was great! 
On our first day, we went to Monkey World, and I took my mobility scooter because I couldn't walk that far. It was really cold, and my legs were freezing, but oddly enough it actually helped with my walking afterwards. I guess the cold helped reduce down the inflammation.
Obviously a lot can be said for ice baths and cold showers next time I feel ill!

Back to earth with a bump now though, and the next fun obstacle to overcome is when I head to Harry Potter World with one of my best friends, next Saturday. I've pimped my scooter especially for the occassion (black and sparkly)! I love Harry Potter, and have always wanted to go, so it's going to be brill! I will undoubtedly keep you posted, and my next post will be full of photos of me drinking Butterbeer! So excited :)


Monkey World, multiple sclerosis, MS
 Me at Monkey World....freezing my buns off!


charmouth beach, fossil hunting, multiple sclerosis, MS
Charmouth beach

Charmouth, multiple sclerosis, MS
Me and Ed on the beach

west bay, harbour, sunset, multiple sclerosis, MS
West Bay - where we stayed

west bay, storm, multiple sclerosis, ms,
Lib looking very cold!






No comments:

Post a Comment