Tuesday 12 April 2022

Travelling with Bipolar

So the last post was all about my worries with travelling when it comes to my MS. 

However, it dawned on me that the greatest challenge is going to be navigating my mood when we're away. Bipolar is unpredictable, but there are things that can be put in place to make the holiday easier. 

photo of a white aeroplane silhouetted by a sunset

Photo by Anna Gru on Unsplash


I found some great tips on the Psych Central website which I've taken on board. 

1. Plan plan plan. 

You don't want any spontaneous travel when you're working with bipolar, so the key is going to be planning so I know what's going on and I can process it. Obviously the flights are booked, so the main bit is done, and it's a relatively simple holiday as we're visiting family. It's not like we're travelling around Iceland and staying over in different places. 

2. Be realistic

My greatest fear, and one that I think is quite likely, is that I'll run on adrenaline or be manic for the first few days....then crash. I've been in situations before where things like excitement bring on a manic episode, and I need to be realistic that this might be the case and plan accordingly. I may need to have the odd day or afternoon where I can try and regroup if needed.

3. Try and relax

My therapist, Mandy, had little tips for ways to relax on the plane, such as use Headspace (the meditation app) and aromatherapy. I have a small roller bottle of Lavender essential oil that I can take with me and use to relax my senses on the journey. Reading is something I know I probably won't be able to concentrate on if there's a lot going on around me, but a crossword or Sudoku would work well.

4. Plan for triggers

I'm not great with crowds now, so travelling through one of the busiest airports is going to be a challenge and could potentially be a trigger for me. I am going to be taking with my Rescue Remedy, and aromatherapy oils to ground me, and Mandy suggested I head to a quiet place (such as the bathroom) and do some prescribed breathing. I need to breathe in for 4, then out for 6 for a few times until I calm. I have also booked airport assistance, so hopefully this will reduce the stress for me. Having to queue for long periods at security will play havoc with my MS, let alone my anxiety!

5. Keep exercising

This is a bit of a tricky one because of my MS, but I can totally see why the article was recommending it. It's important to still get fresh air, and good ol' dopamine from exercising. It helps my bipolar when I exercise, and no mistake. I think we'll be getting plenty of excursions and fresh air under our belt while we're in Iceland, so hopefully I'll keep a clear head. The scenery is breathtaking there, and I think being in a completely different place, especially one so quiet and open, will help my mental health no end. So yes, I will be getting lots of exercise, though obviously have to make sure I don't over-do it and bugger up my MS. 

6. Eat well

Now, I love to enjoy food...especially when I'm on holiday. New foods and experiences is one of my favourite things about holidays. However, excessive sugar is going to be a real issue for me. Sure I'll allow myself treats, but having too much sugar will play havoc with my mood so I'm going to keep a check on it. 

7. Plan your transition back home

We're only going for a week, but it's always upskittling when you travel somewhere, especially if you have bipolar. Whenever I go away, even for a weekend, it always takes me a while to readjust. I need time to get my head around things, and process. When I return, I need to unpack and get things back to normal as soon as possible so I can relax again. 

-------------------


Watching my mood

I'm sure everything will be fine, though I have to be cautious and careful to not become manic. Easier said than done, but there are things I can put in place to help. The first thing is have Si keep an eye out for any of the early signs (such as excessive smiling, giggling and talking quicker). The second thing to do is make sure I get sleep the night before so I'm rested and don't get too excited. I plan to have a relaxing bath with aromatherapy tonight, and reduce screen time (which always makes me worse). I also have some relaxing sleep tea which normally chills me out. I'm planning on taking some to Iceland too.

We fly tomorrow, so I'm just starting to get excited/nervous. Excited to be there, nervous for the journey. 

I will be totally out of my comfort zone, but I know we're going to have an amazing time, and hopefully I'll stay on an even keel. Fingers crossed! 


No comments:

Post a Comment