Sunday 19 June 2022

Weight loss and MS

I've been suffering from IBS on and off for years, and it's kicked off again. 

I've never linked with my MS, but apparently more than 20% of MS sufferers are affected by IBS too.

Though I haven't had the bowel symptoms often linked with MS (incontinence and constipation) my gut has really been playing up. 


weight loss, blue plate with letters on spelling out weight loss

This could be down to a change of diet. I'm trying really hard to lose weight, but finding a way that works for me. I tried the Keto diet (for all of 3 days!) but it didn't sit well with me. The increased amount of fat and dairy I was eating was, I think, partly the cause of the flare up of my IBS. I decided against it as well, because I read numerous articles about people who lost stonking amounts of weight on the diet but put it all back on and more when they ate carbs again! To me, that's not sustainable. 

No, I need a diet I can stick to and will be effective. 

Intermittent fasting 

I have reduced down carbs, especially bread, to help with the bloating and IBS, and after a recommendation from a friend (thank you Anna!) I've been doing intermittent fasting. I currently fast for 16 hours in 24, and eat what I want (though healthily) for 8. This basically means I stop eating at 6pm, then don't eat until 10am. It really seems to suit me, and I haven't felt any hunger pangs. 

The worst thing about it is that I'm impatient! You can usually expect to see results of intermittent fasting after 2 weeks or so, but even then the weight comes off slowly. But it does come off! I need to remind myself of that fact and stick with it. 

There are other benefits to intermittent fasting. Covered in this article here, here's a breakdown of some of them.

  • Thinking and memory - works to boost memory. Lord knows, I need that! 
  • Heart health - improves blood pressure and resting heart rates
  • Physical performance - better endurance and stamina
  • Disabetes and obesity - lose weight and reduce the risk of diabetes
  • Tissue health - reduces tissue damage
It is also meant to positively affect MS symptoms, as it helps reduce inflammation. 

Weight loss when you're an MS sufferer is hard. I struggle to exercise, especially at the moment when it's hot. I need to put self-preservation into play, and not push it. I'm so scared to exercise, burn myself out, then not be able to cope with things. 

Binge eating

At my worst I used to suffer really badly from binge eating. I end up in a vicious cycle of overeating when I'm low, then kicking myself about it, so comfort eat again. But I was unstoppable at one point. I would eat literally anything in front of me, scouring the cupboards. It suddenly dawned on me though that it was just because I was restricting myself. Like a petulant child, I was eating just because I thought I shouldn't. Mainly sugar and fat because I knew it was bad for me and my MS. 

That's why the intermittent fasting is so good. I'm not restricted in the periods when I eat, and can eat whatever I want (within reason - obviously just eating sweets and chocolate during the eating window isn't going to lead to weight loss). I am eating more healthily though without a doubt. 

MS diets

I've done a couple of MS diets, namely the Swank diet (which I followed for years) and the OMS diet (which I didn't give a proper go really). Both encourage you to eat minimal saturated fat, hence why I felt the keto diet was such a challenge. The reason for cutting back on saturated fat and getting healthy oils from fish and olive oil, is because it reduces inflammation, which in turn helps MS symptoms. I do find that when I move back to full fat dairy, then I get more tingles, so there's definitely something in it!

I think the key is to do a mixture of things in order to lose the weight and keep it off. 

That's why I've created a plan to put in place.

The Plan

  1. Intermittent fasting to help cut back on calories in the day.
  2. Eat healthily within my eating window to make sure I'm getting sufficient calories. 
  3. No restrict anything, though be mindful of eating full fat dairy to prevent the tingles. Everything in moderation.
  4. Cut back on sugar (again to reduce inflammation and help mood), but not give it up entirely. Otherwise I know I'll crack and binge eat. 

I feel like I've tried every diet under the sun, yet the weight keeps creeping up. But maybe dieting itself is the problem? Diet culture is so prevalent and pressure is heaped on people to look a certain way. I want to lose weight for the health benefits and to gain more energy, not because of the way I look. With this plan in place hopefully I won't feel like I'm on a diet and restricting what I can eat, or obsessively calorie counting. 

Time will tell.....

No comments:

Post a Comment