Friday 24 June 2022

Dealing with an Emotional Child

Health Update


A couple of weeks ago, I was suffering from spasticity and other symptoms......I'm pleased to say things have calmed down. 

I spoke to my consultant on the Friday who, when I told her my symptoms, was sure it wasn't a relapse. Thank lordy! She is going to refer me to physio for my right leg (which keeps stiffening up when I walk), and I have to talk to the doctor about my arm which is still bothering me. 

Now I'm feeling better though, I look back and realise that I was panicking for little reason. I've had so many pseudo relapses whist on Tysabri, you'd think I'd know the pattern by now. However, when you're in the moment, feeling like poop, it's hard to see the wood for the trees. It's been 6 years since my last relapse, so I find it hard to remember what it really feels like. 

The Emotional Rollercoaster


This week has been an emotional one for me. We're finding Ed's behaviour very challenging, and as I've dipped into a depressive state, it's taking it's toll. Ed's always been very sensitive, but as he gets older, his mood swings are becoming more pronounced. He lashes out, shouts, and throw things (the classic tantrum) when he doesn't get his own way. Obviously he's bigger now though, so the effect is more alarming. 

The 7 year Milestone and Adrenarche


The 7th year is a bit of milestone in a child's development. Not only will reading and writing move in leaps and bounds, but they become to be more aware of their surroundings, and their place in the world. I found this useful article that also describes how children become more empathetic. It doesn't feel like that most of the time, because Ed seems to get lost in his feelings, but a case in point, I couldn't help but get upset the other night due to another battle to get him to bed. I was super tired, and his behaviour just hit me at the wrong moment. I started crying and after a few minutes, he stopped what he was doing, and came over and gave me a big hug and told me he loved me. I thought we had turned a corner, but alas, the behaviour came back the next day. 

It's also a milestone hormonally, as adrenarche kicks in. This is the 'awakening of the adrenal gland' responsible for making hormones. 
"you may notice your 7- or 8-year-old seems angry or tearful for no reason as they struggle to process their emotions. They may start falling out with their friendship groups or their behaviour may seem uncharacteristic."

This makes a lot of sense to me, as I know how highly tuned Ed is. I can also see it in his friends, and the changing way they deal with one another.  

 

Dealing with an emotional child 


Like I say, I've found the whole situation very hard to deal with, especially as I feel emotionally vulnerable myself at the moment. I looked on google for some tips on how to deal with an emotional child and came across some great advice from real parents.  

"Be open and honest, even if it’s difficult at times."

"Be empathetic. Do not give them a solution. Rather coach them in finding a solution."

"Love them in those moments as this IS when they NEED you the most!"

"Try to understand that the problems they are facing are a huge deal to them. Recognise that they have real issues, albeit unrealistic to you."

Getting to the bottom of things


We suspected that Ed wasn't happy about something outside of the home, and when we quizzed him, he confessed that some of his friends had been unkind to him in the classroom and at play. This also actually happened a couple of months ago where there was an incident at play where he was surrounded and people were throwing grass at him. We spoke to the teacher and she said she'd keep at eye on him, but it appears the problems are persisting. One thing I will say though, is that all his peers are obviously going through the same thing emotionally at the moment, so I think it's easy for games to get out of hand, and comments made to be taken on board as hurtful. These are emotional kids we're talking about! Ed seems to still want to play with everyone, so I don't think he considers himself bullied by anyone in particular, I think it's more that a little fly away comment or action by someone is really hitting home at the moment. 

The time in the day when it's at its worst is bedtime though. It's a melting pot of emotions and tiredness, and since it's been lighter in the evenings Ed's finding it really hard to settle down. This means if Si and I are both tired, it makes it doubly challenging. Bedtime can take around 2 hours at the moment and often it is 9.30/10pm before he falls asleep. Obviously these later nights are going to play havoc with him anyway, so it feels like we just can't win at the moment!

Moving On


I must try and get my emotions in check when dealing with Ed, though it's easier said than done. However, the other night, I think it actually helped Ed to see me upset because it brought home that his actions have consequences. I'm me, and I'm just doing my best. If I get upset so be it. However, when I'm not depressed it's a lot easier to deal with because I feel less raw. 

Bedtime is a challenge, but I half think we should just stop the battling and let him go when he's tired. However, that could easily bite us in the behind as he stays up later and later because of the novelty. The summer holidays might be the time to experiment. I find the whole bedtime routine challenging though because I get so tired and exhausted by 8pm, so often I have to go to bed myself, leaving Si with the brunt of it. He's a true SuperDad!

I know this phase will pass, but in the eye of the storm, it's hard to imagine.



Photo by Johannes Plenio on Unsplash



No comments:

Post a Comment