Monday 28 November 2022

Navigating London and other stuff

This post is well over due.

It's all about the October half term,  but now Christmas is creeping up and it's been sat in my draft box for ages! I just haven't been in the right frame of mind to write. It normally comes quite naturally to me, but recently it's like staring at a blank wall. However, I thought I should persevere and finish this post, because half term was a really big deal for me. 

So here we are....

‐-----------------------

I was knackered and frazzled, but we had a great time at half term.

We decided to stay in London for a couple of nights, mainly to see My Neighbour Totoro at the Barbican Theatre. 

To many this wouldn't seem like a big deal (after all it's about one and a half hours on the train from Bristol) but to me, it was a MASSIVE deal. 

I hadn't experienced London with the kids before, and I hadn't been for a very long time (when I had better stamina).

I had built London up in my head to be this traumatic place where I would really really struggle. I worried about the practicalities of actually getting round, and the mental impact being in such a busy place would have.

But.....I did it. I coped. And yes I was exhausted afterwards, but it's done and it really wasn't as bad as expected! The kids were fantastic, and we all loved it. 

Boy and and walking on the London Underground
Si and Ed navigating the Underground

My main worry was whether I was going to cope with all the walking - particularly getting from one place to another in the Underground. I remember long concourses, and having to stand for long periods on the actual train, having no chance to rest. But actually, it was fine. Sure there was a lot of walking, but the actual trains were eerily quiet so more often than not, I managed to get a seat. Si planned our routes well, and because the flat we had was down the road from the Barbican, we were fairly close the the Barbican tube station, and therefore on the Circle line. From there we could get to where we needed to go easily and without changing. Like I said, we were lucky in the fact that I managed to get a seat. If we'd travelled in rush hour,  I'm sure it would have been a different story. 

Skeleton at The Natural History Museum, London
The Natural History Museum 


I took my folding stick with me, but only needed it on the second day - when we went to the Natural History Museum. Even then I managed the Museum without the stick and it was only getting back to the flat where I struggled a bit. It was very busy at South Kensington tube, near where the museum is, so I did do more standing around then. 
Girl with green top in musuem
The Blue Whale

My Neighbour Totoro at the Barbican Theatre was awesome! 

My Neighbour Totoro is a Studio Ghibli film that came out in the 1980s, which is charming and lovely, and the theatre production of it did not disappoint. As a family we've always been a big fan of Totoro....ever since Lib being a toddler where we used to sit down and watch the film together. I found the theatre production emotional because all of these memories came flooding back, and I don't mind telling you that I got a bit tearful! We all adored it and would highly recommend it. 

My Neighbour Totoro Barbican Theatre

Family at the Barbican Theatre




-------------

So yeah a big milestone for me, and I think it's all thanks to Tysabri. It's given me my stamina back. 

'Doing' London unscathed has given me so much confidence though to try and do more and different stuff. There's a fine line between being practical and cautious, and pushing myself to do a bit more though. Sure I managed our London trip, but that was a few days out of many....and I shouldn't assume I'm always going to manage things like that. For example, I wouldn't have been able to manage it this weekend.

A case in point though is when we go to Slimbridge Wetland Centre. I nearly always hire a mobility scooter because it's quite a lot of walking. On the one hand, it seems sensible to preserve my energy, but London has given me the confidence to try it without the scooter, and relish in getting the exercise. 

And exercise is key here. 

My weight loss journey is still on-going (I've lost nearly a stone so far) but I need to push on, so exercise and maintaining that 'gumption' is needed. I always find it hard to motivate myself in the winter though....I just want to hunker down and hibernate (like most people!). The frustrating thing though is that I know I'll feel better and have more energy when I've lost weight...it's just getting there. 

But Christmas is just around the corner...and my 40th birthday after that....so celebrations will be abound and I. must. not. put. it. all. back. on! 









No comments:

Post a Comment